Triple Chocolate Torte INSANITY

Let's see, where to begin... I currently live in a student co-operative housing unit (although that's going to be changing very soon) . One of the benefits to this housing situation (along with the copious amounts of food in the kitchen and the cheap rent) is that twice a year we hold an event called "Special Brunch." This is when the cooks of the house go all out and concoct fabulous dishes with ingredients we cannot afford to buy for every day cooking. The cooks are expected to prepare enough of their recipe to feed approximately 200 people and are given 2 or 3 days to do so. This year things were structured a little differently in that, at the end of the brunch, the crowed voted for their favorite main course, side dish and dessert and the chosen cooks were awarded $50 apiece. I decided to make a dessert and so I set about making a triple chocolate torte from this recipe by the Domestic Goddess decorated with mini chocolate pumpkins which can be found here. Over two days I worked 12 hours (not including refrigeration time) to construct two massive tortes. The cakes and pumpkins used 108 eggs, 25 lbs of chocolate and more butter and cream than I care to think of. There was much success and quite a few near disasters. One of the cakes did not want to come out of the pan which resulted in me flipping it upside-down and pounding on the bottom with a hammer until I heard a satisfying "plop" as my creation finally released its grip on the metal. The 48 egg whites took about an hour to from stiff peaks and then had to be whipped again when I miscalculated just how long it takes to melt 19 cups of chocolate. All in all however the experience was hectic but absolutely wonderful, and what do you know, I ended up winning the dessert category. :) Anyway, here are pictures of my absolute cake insanity.



The truth to the cake, here is what lies beneath that inocent layer of chocolate ganache...not a pretty sight but wonderfully delicious. A brownie base topped with chocolate mousse.


Ahh...much better, the cake looks a little prettier slathered with a layer of chocolate ganache

An here I am applying said ganache



The creation of the mini chocolate pumpkin decorations

More mini chocolate pumpkins


The finished cake, isn't it lovely?


And one more look at that finished cake, (you can see the second one off in the background)

3 Response to Triple Chocolate Torte INSANITY

November 7, 2008 at 1:59 AM

I'm just browsing around for Christmas ideas as its getting ever closer and it will be here before I know it. This chocolate torte looks absolutely scrumptious!

The great thing with my family and friends is that I know they are all chocolate mad! So buying for them isn't very hard as I know what tickles their taste buds.

Last year I brought my best friend the boo box from Hotel Chocolat and it brought the biggest smile to her face.

November 7, 2008 at 11:39 PM

I can not imagine making dessert for that many people. Insanity sounds like a good term. If you ever want to look at chocolate again, here's a Chocolate Mousse Cake Recipe that couldn't be easier. You could probably multiply the recipe into a super sized dessert without much difficulty.

February 18, 2013 at 11:55 PM

This looks great, I sooo need to try this soon! Thanks!
Card games
rummybet1@gmail.com

 

Copyright © 2009 The Quirky Kitchen All rights reserved.
Converted To Blogger Template by Anshul Theme By- WooThemes