Bite Sized Chewy Molasses Ginger Cookies


By way of apology for my extended absence I've decided to post a little more often than usual this week. Of course, my desire to write blog posts is also heightened by the fact that it is finals week here at UC Berkeley meaning I have 3 finals and 2 papers in the next few days...so of course I'm looking for any way to procrastinate. This means that I spend way too much of my time in the kitchen (cooking is stress relief...right?) or on the internet looking at recipes (and the 5 minute break turns into an hour...or two).

Let me begin by saying that molasses cookies are my absolute favorite cookie. Back home in Humboldt I one of my favorite treats are the giant, chewy, intensely molasses cookies that you can get at the local bagel shop (called Los Bagels, in case you're ever in Humboldt). Since moving to Berkeley (and away from my beloved cookies), I have been questing for a recipe that will hold me over until the next break. This is that recipe.

Although these cookies are different from the giant ones back home, they have the same spirit, the same molasses-y, spicy, chewy goodness. They are bite sized, snacking, oops I think I just ate ten sort of cookies.

These cookies also have the added bonus of being absolutely adorable (thus perfect for any holiday cookie platters or gift baskets). In addition, they also keep well for days (if they last that long). My recipe is slightly adapted from this one from Better Homes and Gardens (if you look at their picture, don't ask me what the white things are on their cookies, I have absolutely no idea).




Bite Sized Molasses Ginger Cookies

1/3 cup unsalted butter
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 egg
1/4 cup molasses (I do a big sloshy "oops I accidentally spilled a bit extra into the batter" measurement)
2 cups whole wheat flour (alternately all-purpose would work)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ginger
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon cloves
pinch black pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350 degree F and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
In a large mixing bowl beat the butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add the brown sugar, beat until combined. Beat in egg and molasses. Stir in the flour, baking soda, salt and spices.
Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Combine the granulated sugar and remaining 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. Roll balls in sugar-cinnamon mixture. Place 2 inches apart on prepared cookie sheet and squash slightly with your fingers. Bake for 10 to 11 minutes or until set and tops are cracked. Remove from cookie sheet. Cool on a wire rack. Makes about 4 dozen

9 Response to Bite Sized Chewy Molasses Ginger Cookies

Anonymous
December 10, 2008 at 8:24 AM

Hooray for procrastination!

Loving these; sweet and spice is where Christmas is at when it comes to cookies.

Anonymous
December 10, 2008 at 10:43 AM

Black pepper. Now THAT is something we haven't seen in a cookie before. Very interesting. These would be perfect for holiday parties.

December 10, 2008 at 11:28 AM

i love the sexy mood lighting that the cookies are photographed it! Good luck on your papers and finals!

December 10, 2008 at 12:15 PM

Thank you, I'll certainly need the luck. The sexy mood lighting was actually entirely by mistake. I was photographing them in front of my window and the light kept shifting as the clouds went over the sun. I liked how this picture turned out but now I have absolutely no idea how to recreate it! :)

December 11, 2008 at 7:26 AM

I love molasses cookes! Even better if they are bite sized, I can just pop them into my mouth! Great recipe.

December 11, 2008 at 8:58 AM

ooh wow - how cool! love the pictures :)

December 11, 2008 at 11:59 AM

I can't wait to have you bake us the molasses cookies; they look yummy. Your blog looks amazing. Nice job.
Love, Mom

December 12, 2008 at 11:38 AM

Yum, bite size goodies are so dangerous!

February 19, 2013 at 12:05 AM

Thanks again for the blog post.Much thanks again. Want more.
Phase 10
rummybet1@gmail.com

 

Copyright © 2009 The Quirky Kitchen All rights reserved.
Converted To Blogger Template by Anshul Theme By- WooThemes